All individuals aspiring to become referees will complete the Grassroots Referee course. You must be 13 years of age at the time of the clinic. The first part of the course will be completed online after you register for a course. The second part will be completed in class.
Students must successfully complete the online portion with a minimum score of 75% to be allowed into class. Incomplete or not passing scores will not be allowed into class.
All individuals will take the Grassroots exam and are expected to obtain a grade of 75 for satisfactory completion.
New Referee Courses Additional Course Information
Attention future referees! The Wisconsin Soccer Referee Development Program (WisRef) has announced courses for 2022 registration. Candidates ages 13 and up who are first time referees, or previously registered referees who have had a lapse in registration may now register for certification in August. (Note, U.S. Soccer policy mandates the minimum age requirement.) The total cost of the course is $100.
Successful candidates will receive a full reimbursement of their registration fee from Wisconsin Youth Soccer Association, plus a 10-piece referee uniform starter kit.
New Grassroots Referee Courses require a combination of independent learning and in person, virtual instruction. Dates for the in-person portion of the course are as follows:
• Saturday, August 7 | 8:00am – 12:00pm
• Saturday, August 7 | 1:00pm – 5:00pm
• Sunday, August 8 | 8:00am – 12:00pm
• Sunday, August 8 | 1:00pm – 5:00pm
• Saturday, August 14 | 8:00am – 12:00pm
• Saturday, August 14 | 1:00pm – 5:00pm
• Sunday, August 15 | 8:00am – 12:00pm
• Sunday, August 15 | 1:00pm – 5:00pm
Weekday courses and/or additional courses may be added based on demand.
To register to become a 2022 USSF Referee:
1) Create a Referee profile in the U.S. Soccer Learning Center.
2) Register for a 2022 New Grassroots Referee Course.
3) Complete all required U.S. Soccer coursework.
4) Set up a GameOfficials account for assignments.
5) After completing steps 1-4, notify Sue Walter for instructions on the WisRef pre-course work.
6) When pre-course work is complete, again notify Sue Walter to select a date/time for the virtual section.
7) Attend a virtual course.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to be a part of the game, while learning and earning! For registration and certification questions, please contact Sue Walter at email@example.com.